Have a spare bike that's gathering dust in your garage? Do you have an extra U-Lock that you aren't using anymore? Gearing Up will gladly accept in-kind donations of bicycles, clothing, U-locks (with key) and cables, hats, gloves, and more. Please see below for our donation policy and information on how you can help.
Gearing Up will gladly take the following bicycle clothing in good condition:
• Cycling gloves (short and full gloves)
• Cycling hats
• Cold weather cycling jackets in larger sizes (Women’s Large, Women’s X-Large, Men’s Large, Men’s XL and Men’s XXL
• Warm weather cycling jackets in larger sizes (Women’s Large, Women’s X-Large, Men’s Large, Men’s XL and Men’s XXL)
• Waterproof cycling Jackets in larger sizes (Women’s Large, Women’s X-Large, Men’s Large, Men’s XL and Men’s XXL)
Gearing Up has a sufficient amount of sneakers and cycling shoes for any riders who are interested in learning to ride with clipless pedals.
U-Locks and Cables:
Gearing Up is happy to accept any used or new U-Locks (must have both keys) and cables for Earn-a-Bike recipients to properly lock up their gently used bicycles
"Earn-A-Bikes" will be given to riders who have pedaled 150 miles. Gearing Up can only accept bicycles that meet the following requirements:
• The bicycle is currently in safe, working condition or has been looked over by a mechanic
• The bicycle is not older than the year 2000
• Wheel sizes of 700c
• Hybrid or Road bikes only, no mountain bikes
If you are not sure if your bicycle meets these requirements, please email [email protected] with a picture of the bicycle. From there, we can assess whether we can enter the bike into our fleet of earn-able bikes and arrange a drop off time with you.
**Please feel free to email [email protected] with any other questions or concerns regarding donations for Gearing Up**
All individuals who donate items will be sent a tax-deductible in-kind donation form and thank-you letter. Donations can be dropped off at the Gearing Up office (drop-off times can be arranged with us via email) or donations can be mailed to the Gearing Up office at the following address:
Gearing Up Attn: Al Sharrock
2401 Walnut Street
Philadelphia, PA 19103